467th Bombardment Group (H)
Official Web Site
Mission # 213 • Rechlin-Larz, Germany • 10 Apr 45
Mission Info
Primary Target:

Secondary Target:

Target Attacked:
Credited Mission:


more info available on Research Site
Mission Narrative
8th AF Mission #938: 1315 bombers dispatched from all three Divisions to bomb visually airfields known or suspected used by jet enemy aircraft, and an army base. The 2AD sent 357 aircraft to attack target three airfields, the 467th leading the Division and 96CBW to the airfield Rechlin/Larz.

The 467th dispatched 38 ships in four squadrons, with Col. Shower leading the Wing and Division. Assembly and route was as briefed in good weather with no reported problems.

The lead crews departed Rackheath at 1041hours and bombing was made visually at 1455hours visually from 21,000ft.

Col Shower led the first squadron with the Capt Wild Crew#078-R1 aboard 44-49340 with Maj Green deputy lead with the Lt Dunnam Crew#083-R3 aboard 42-51671. Second squadron was led by Lt Summers with Lt Meyer Crew#077-R5 aboard 42-51832. Third Squadron was led by Capt McCarthy with Lt Sawyer Crew#084-R3 aboard "Lucky 'Leven" 44-48820 and fourth was led by Lt Moseley Crew#089-R6 aboard 42-50949. The 789th Lt Baxter Crew#028-R4 made an early return to base.

The remaining 37 ships bombed visually with very good patterns on the MPI. The lead bombardier of the third squadron, Capt Sullivan could not pick up his assigned MPI on the first run due to clouds. He asked the Command Pilot to make a second run and he did so. On the second run his MPI again was not visual due clouds but he could see the fourth squadron MPI and synchronized on it rather than chance dropping bombs in the fields. The second run over the target caused a 25 minute delay to the briefed return route. Lt Upp Crew#058-R2 aboard "Prowler" feathered #3 engine over target and also a reported gas leak and opted to land on the continent. Lt Wheeler Crew#006 -R3 in "Three Star Special" also landed on the continent short of gas. Both crews returned to Rackheath later that day.

One ship sustained minor damage but all crews safely returned. Fighter support reported as good.